Friday, June 24, 2016

Faith & The Flag: An Open Letter to My Christian Family

This blog post will be a little different today. I operate this blog on behalf of both Michigan SCV Camps at the request of both Camp Commanders (Cmdr. White of Camp #1321 and Cmdr. Perkins of Camp #2257), and being that this blog represents the camps, I do my very best to keep the postings on message and not to talk much about myself. Unfortunately, recent events with a large Christian denomination in our nation have compelled me to share my story of how I came to join the SCV. The SCV is not a religion or religious organization, but the SCV does recognize the Judaeo-Christian foundations of our nation and of the nation our Southern ancestors sought to build. The following is not an endorsement, from either Michigan camp or the SCV organization, of any religion or faith teaching. It is simply my story... a testimony of sorts.

When I was boy, growing up in the southeastern suburbs of Detroit, there were certain symbols that fascinated me, whether they were those of iconic fictional characters (like the Batman logo), sports teams (the 1980s Detroit Tigers emblem), or religion (like the Celtic cross). One such symbol that always seemed to captivate me was that one red flag with a big blue 'X' containing 13 white stars.

As a kid I saw it, probably for the first time on 'The Dukes of Hazzard,' and I just thought it looked awesome! I've found that most children feel the same way until they've been conditioned to think otherwise. I'm not sure at what point in life it was, but somewhere along the way I learned that it had something to do with the southern United States. I'm certain that it was in school that I learned it was a flag related to the "rebel" Confederate States of America during the War Between The States, but by the time of my childhood in the mid-1980s it had taken on the meaning of "southern pride." Living in the suburbs of Detroit, there were a lot of people with southern roots. In the glory days of "the big three" automobile manufacturers, many folks migrated from the poverty stricken, rural areas of Appalachia to the Metro-Detroit area in search of a good paying job. Despite the change in scenery, most of those folks held tight to their southern roots, and took pride in where they came from. One way they could publicly express this sentiment was by displaying their "rebel flag."

Sometime after I'd gotten into high-school, we once again had lessons about the War Between The States. It was at this time that I started wondering if I had ancestors that served in that war. My family was from the south (both of my parents were born & raised in KY) and I assumed that I probably had at least one that did. To find out about this I had to start doing my family tree, and eventually I learned that I had an ancestor who served in the 6th North Carolina Cavalry regiment... for the Confederacy! I was so excited! I now had a personal connection to that really awesome flag that I'd grown up loving to see!

It was not until my sophomore or junior year of high school (around the year 2000) when I first heard of any supposed connection between the Confederate flag & racism. I was on the yearbook committee, and I was publicly shamed by a teacher for suggesting a yearbook cover design that featured the American flag & the CSA Battle Flag. She feigned appall that I would suggest such a cover design! Of course I knew that it has been used at times by the Klan and other racial hate groups, but so were/are the Cross and the U.S. Flag, and I know that they aren't really racist symbols either.

While being a Southron by blood, I'm chiefly a born-again follower of Jesus. I gave my heart to Christ and started serving Him around the age of 5, and what bothered me more than being publicly shamed over the flag was the thought that I might be dishonoring God by my display of it. I decided then that I needed to further look into the history of the Confederate States of America, the Confederate soldiers, and the use of that flag after the War Between The States. What I learned in the intense study that followed (which continues to this day) has shaped my understanding of that flag. Over the last 16 years, I've prayed countless times over the matter, and asked God to show me if I was wrong to display it. I never once felt as though God was saying to stop.

About four years ago I began looking into joining the Sons of Confederate Veterans. I spent that time investigating the organization to make sure that being a part of it would not be a conflict of interest in my service to Christ. I spoke with others, followers of Christ, who didn't care one way or another about that flag, whether they thought it was a bad idea and asked them to also pray that God would guide me. I never received any counsel or inclination through it all suggesting that I should not do it. So with assurance in my heart, mind, and soul that it was not improper for me to do so, I joined the SCV last May, and got my membership certificate one week before last June's tragedy in Charleston.

I believe that God was aware that the sad incident in Charleston last summer was going to happen all those years ago when I started praying about joining the SCV, and I believe that He also knew this flag issue was going to blow up on the scale that it has. Why did He not warn me, or give me any inclination if the Confederate flag was something I shouldn't be for? Why did He not, in the last four years, steer me away from joining the SCV if joining an organization that promotes the display of that flag would be in conflict with honoring Him?

I have said all of this to hopefully show that my position regarding the CSA Battle Flag is not one that was taken without years & years of study & prayer. You might have read all of that and come to a conclusion that I ignored or overlooked God's guidance at some point in time. You'll then have to decide whether it is really your place to make such a judgement regarding me & my relationship with Christ.

The movement now underway to remove that flag (and other symbols of the Confederacy) dishonors the brave soldiers that served under it (many of them being our Christian brothers), and disrespects the 70-million living descendants of Confederate veterans (many of whom hold that flag dear). This anti-Confederate movement is rooted in the same demonic cesspool as the movements in this nation to slander historical figures & traditional symbols of America, and also those of Christianity.

It would be impossible for me to type out with words how passionately I detest racism, discrimination, oppression, and bigotry & any group or organization that would seek to promote such things. My display of Confederate symbols is not intended to promote any of that or offend anyone; I only seek to properly & passionately honor my veteran ancestors.

I believe that the well intentioned Christians standing with those calling for this destruction of Southern heritage are only helping those currently involved in creating even more racial, social, and political division in a nation that is currently on the path to prove that "divided we fall." Some fellow believers have used a particular verse of Scripture (Romans 14:13) as their justification for denouncing the flag & symbols of the Confederacy, but the real "stumbling block" that has been set out ahead of us is the hateful lie that the Confederate flag is a symbol of racism which is to be reviled. Sadly, this is the myth that is now being perpetuated by so many who claim to follow Christ.

I do not believe that Christ has called us at any point to compromise truth for lies, or love for hate. To do so for any reason would dishonor God. Hate & lies do nothing to further His cause (which is the cause I am chiefly devoted to) and are in direct opposition to the Gospel.

There is no stopping anyone that wants to hijack a symbol for hateful use, but it is another problem when we give in to the hate & lies, either by becoming hateful or letting them set the narrative. I refuse to let the hate & lies win on either front. I believe that it is my duty to not let groups like the KKK, NAACP, or even the Southern Baptist Convention redefine Confederate symbols for their own hateful and/or political purposes.

So in the interest of honoring Christ, by standing up for truth & standing against hate, I will keep flying the Confederate Battle Flag and encourage others to do so. Maybe you're a fellow believer, yet you disagree with me about the flag. If so, I will pray for you, and I ask that you will also pray for me. Not one of us is perfect or has perfect understanding, but I have faith that God's grace is sufficient for us, and that He will lead us through the Holy Spirit if we are willing to be obedient.

 Yours in the Bonds of the Old South & Christian Fellowship,
- Jonathan McCleese
Sergeant-at-Arms
Admiral Raphael Semmes Camp #1321
Army of Tennessee, Sons of Confederate Veterans

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your comments. Michael Woroniak, Manistee,Mi. (Great Grandson of Henry Weatherly Fields, Private, Co. C, 8th Virginia Cavalry the "Grayson Rangers".

    ReplyDelete

Comments and questions are most welcome, but keep in mind that this is not a forum for debate. Keep all comments respectful, clean (no "foul language"), and on topic of the post. If you need information about the camps, the SCV, or how to join this organization, please refer to the links provided in the sidebar on the right of the page. Thanks!